When was the last time you got a haircut?
We all love salons, right? They’re great if you want to get your periodical haircut, but they’re also good for when you just want to pamper yourself with a well-deserved mani-pedi* or a massage. Salon appointments are always exciting, because you leave feeling almost like a new person! Another thing we can all relate to is that we all have one salon we like above all others. But have you ever tried a new one? We all have, and we’ve definitely spoken about the experience after.
Sometimes though, we all face problems when trying to accurately convey exactly what we’re trying to say.
Read on to learn exactly what to say, to make your conversational partner understand what it is you’re trying to say about the salon. Happy learning!
So, let’s start by taking a basic situation that all of us can relate to, and work from there.
*A new salon has just opened up in your town. You decided to check the place out and went there yesterday, you are now telling your friend about it*
Read on to find the overall flow, specific vocabulary, phrases, and expressions that can be used for an effective and fluent conversation on this topic. Right below is your guide to having an engaging conversation!
A conversation has specific phases that it goes through. Here is a quick look at what we suggest to guarantee you a smooth conversation.
Content : What is it that you are going to talk about?
Use the ‘wh’ questions along with the keywords to help you put together the content.
- What was the name of the salon? – Femina, Green Trends, Toni and Guy etc.
- What service did you buy? – Haircut, Hair colouring, Facial etc.
- Where is the salon? – Near your house, Two streets away, In the mall etc.
- How is the pricing? – Fair, Overpriced, Bargain, Expensive etc.
- How is the attitude of the staff? – Genial, Friendly, Helpful, Rude, etc.
Choosing Contextual Vocabulary
Choosing contextual vocabulary to suit the scenario you’re talking about can be very important when it comes to giving depth and clarity to what you’re trying to say, as well as piquing* your partner’s attention. In this case, you’re talking about a new unisex salon that has just opened up.
Listed below are a few words and phrases that could come in handy while elaborating on the movie. Additionally, the meanings of a few starred (*) words are given at the end of this article that you could also use!
- Value for money
Similarly. given below are a few descriptive words and phrases that you could use to make your conversation more interesting!
- Reasonable pricing
- Helpful advice
- Friendly attitude
- Satisfactory end results
- Skilled employees
- Fancy haircuts
- Bridal makeup artists
- Shoddy* equipment
- Product advertising
- Clean environment
- Customer-friendly atmosphere
- High quality service
- Meticulous* appointments
- Convenient working hours
- Prime location
Organizing the Content : Putting it all together to create a comprehensive picture
Now that we know what to talk about and the words to use, let us put them in a logical order.
Initiate the conversation by talking about the new salon you went to.
‘Did you know Toni and Guy just opened up in X nagar? I went there yesterday.’
Express your like/dislike over the salon – this could be why you brought the movie into the conversation.
‘I got a new haircut there, doesn’t it look amazing!’
‘I went to the new salon to colour my hair and they ruined it!’
Talk about why you liked/disliked the salon – here are 5 examples of things you could say
- The service was great, all the hair stylists were very customer friendly.
- The salon provides good services at reasonable prices, you’re guaranteed value for money.
- The employees are very skilled at what they do, they did a great job with my hair extensions!
- The salon charges exorbitant* rates for terrible service.
- The employees were very rude and unhelpful, I did not like their attitude.
Tell your conversational partner why you think they should visit/not visit the salon, for example-
- You wanted a haircut right? You should definitely check out Toni and Guy, their service is great.
- I highly recommend Toni and Guy, they’re great at hair styling and hair related service.
- The ambience at Toni and Guy is very relaxing and colourful, it makes the customer feel right at home.
- The salespeople at Toni and Guy are extremely rude, they give the worst advice to sell products, don’t trust them.
- The Toni and Guy salon is really unclean and unhygienic, don’t go there.
A model answer would be as follows :-
Did you know Toni and Guy just opened up in X nagar? I went there yesterday. I got a new haircut there, doesn’t it look amazing! The service was great, all the hair stylists were very customer friendly. You wanted a haircut right? You should definitely check out Toni and Guy.
Did you know Toni and Guy just opened up in X nagar? I went there yesterday to colour my hair and they ruined it! The employees were very rude and unhelpful, I did not like their attitude. The salon is really unclean and unhygienic, don’t go there.
Meaning of starred (*) words
- Mani-Pedi – Manicure and Pedicure (nail service)
- Pique – Arouse interest.
- Shoddy – Badly made or done.
- Meticulous – Very careful, paying lots of attention.