Any fashionistas out there?
Fashion, something everyone is into today. Whether you’re a girl or a boy, fashion is for everyone. With the advent of changing trends and modernism, new trends in fashion have also come into existence. Whether you’re into retro, vintage, 60’s rock, goth or anything, we’re sure we can agree that all of us have our own unique fashion sense. However, we also do keep in touch with the latest trends that crop up from time to time. We also love to talk about them.
Sometimes though, we all face problems when trying to accurately convey exactly what we’re trying to say. Read on to learn what to say, to make your conversational partner understand exactly what you think about the latest fashion trends. Happy learning!
So, let’s start by taking a basic situation that all of us can relate to, and work from there.
*A celebrity has just been seen wearing bell-bottom jeans, a vintage trend that hasn’t been around since the 90’s, you want to talk about it with your friend*
Read on to find the overall flow, specific vocabulary, phrases, and expressions that can be used for an effective and fluent conversation on this topic. Right below is your guide to having an engaging conversation!
A conversation has specific phases that it goes through. Here is a quick look at what we guarantee you, to have a smooth conversation.
Content : What is it that you are going to talk about?
Use the wh questions along with the keywords to help you put together the content.
- What is the new fashion trend? – Bell Bottom jeans, Ripped jeans, Crop tops etc.
- Who was seen wearing it? – Singer, Sportsperson, Actress etc.
- When did it come out? – Last month, Few weeks ago, Two months ago etc.
- Why do you like/dislike it? – Doesn’t suit your body type, sense of style etc.
- Where did you come across this trend? – On TV, In a magazine, On YouTube etc.
Choosing Contextual Vocabulary
Choosing contextual vocabulary to suit the scenario you’re talking about can be very important when it comes to giving depth and clarity to what you’re trying to say, as well as piquing your partner’s attention. In this case, you’re talking about a new fashion trend.
Listed below are a few words and phrases that could come in handy while elaborating on the fashion trend.
Similarly, given below are a few descriptive words and phrases that you could use to make your conversation more interesting!
- Changing styles
- Beautiful model
- Body type
- Limited accessibility
- High price range
- Top-tier quality
- Grand appearance
- Exuding creativity
- Devoid of utility
- Critically acclaimed
- Designer samples
- Ornamental frills
- Plain A-line dresses
- Stiff collars
- Silky fabric
Organizing the Content : Putting it all together to create a comprehensive picture
Now that we know what to talk about and the words to use, let us put them in a logical order.
Initiate the conversation by bringing up the new trend
Have you heard? Bell-bottoms are making a comeback, can you believe it?
Express your like/dislike over it
Bell-bottoms were famous in my mom’s time, they’re so out of date now, I have no idea why Rihanna wore them.
Say something about the trend – Here are five examples of things you could say
- Crop tops are all the rage now, they’re perfect for curvier body types.
- The popularity of converse shoes is growing, especially among young men.
- Guys are finally jumping on the ‘ripped jeans’ bandwagon, they seem to be wearing it everywhere!
- The single colour fad was started by Madonna back in the 2000’s, needless to say it was a disaster.
- The whole ‘denim on denim’ movement was started by accident. You should check it out, the story is on wikipedia.
Talk about why you like/dislike the trend
- Bell-bottoms weren’t made for people with larger body types, that’s why I don’t like them.
- Denim jackets are so expensive, I can’t afford them
- In my opinion, Suspenders make men look very classy.
- I love overalls, they’re so cute, I could wear them all day!
- Crop tops and sweats are my favourite combination, they’re so comfy.
You could end by asking your conversational partner what he/she thinks about the fashion trend
So, what do you think of Bell-bottoms? Redeemable or Fashion Failure?
A model answer would be as follows
Have you heard? Bell-bottoms are making a comeback, can you believe it? Bell-bottoms were famous in my parents’ time, although they’re quite out of date now. I wonder why celebrities have started wearing them again. In case you didn’t know, Bell-bottoms are these kind of trousers or jeans that flare at the end, I could show you a picture if you want. Bell-bottoms weren’t made for people with larger body types, that’s why I don’t like them. They also just generally look awful, I mean, I certainly wouldn’t wear them. So, what do you think of Bell-bottoms? Would you wear them?